Church of La Misericordia
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Maria di Val Verde, or La Misericordia as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1308 and is a Catholic church.
Santa Maria Valverde was first established as an abbey church in the 10th century. In the 14th century, all but one of the monks died of the plague, causing the church to fall into centuries of financial struggles and disrepair. The convent was demolished in the early 19th century; however, the church itself escaped the clutches of Napoleon. After a poorly done restoration attempt, the last mass was celebrated in 1967. In more recent years, the exterior has been resurfaced and painted, so hope remains that this church may once again reopen.
Structure of Building
The image below depicts the floor plan of La Misericordia, including the location of the Church Floor Artifacts.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm