Church of La Salute
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di Santa Maria della Salute, or La Salute as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1256 and is a Catholic church.
A church and monastery were founded here in the 13th century by the Teutonic Knights. The church was suppressed by Pope Clement XVI in the 16th century, and the building was given to the patriarch of Venice. A new church was built in the 17th century following the end of the plague. The name Santa Maria della Salute tanslates to Saint Mary of Health, symbolizing the health that was restored to Venice. The church façade is impressive, without being too flashy as it is the center piece of an annual ceremony. A pontoon bridge is built between Salute and Giudecca. Traditionally, the doge was the first to cross and give thanks for Venice's triumph. Even without a doge to preside of the ceremony, the tradition still continues.
Structure of Building
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm