Church of La Zirada
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di Sant'Andrea Apostolo, or La Zirada as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1329 and is a Catholic church.
Sant'Andrea was founded in the 14th century as a hospice for poor women. The convent and church were then rebuilt in the 15th century, and then underwent restoration in the 17th century to add baroque features to the interior. The façade is original to the 15th century building and was designed in the Venetian Gothic style. Napoleon closed the church and had the convent demolished during his reign over Venice. The church is no longer practicing and is a sculpture's studio.
Structure of Building
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm