Church of Le Zitelle
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Maria della Presentazione, or Le Zitelle as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1561 and is a Catholic church.
Officially named Church of Santa Maria Della Presentazione, San Zitelle and the accompanying convent was built as a home for poor girls. The girls brought notoriety to the church for their exquisite hand work of Venetian lace. The church façade was inspired by the work of Palladio, including a large dome and two small bell towers on either side. The church was completed in 1586, however the interior has since been renovated in the Gothic style built by the painter Mario de Maria in 1924.
Structure of Building
The bell tower associated with this church is Bell Tower - Le Zitelle. Please click the link to learn more!
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm