Church of San Basso
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Basso, or San Basso as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1073 and is a Catholic church.
Just outside of Saint Mark's Square, San Basso was first constructed in the 11th century. After being destroyed by two fires, the church was last rebuilt in the 17th century. The façade from this rebuild remains unfinished, the bottom half is smooth stone, but the top cuts off, incomplete. Napoleon closed the church in 1810, and was then used to store art work. It was restored in the 1950s and now hosts exhibits and Vivaldi concerts.
Structure of Building
There is no bell tower associated with this church.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm