Church of San Biagio
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa S. Biagio, or San Biagio as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1052 and is a Catholic church.
San Biagio was first built in the 11th century with the intended use for new immigrants. In the late 15th century, Venice's Greek Orthodox community inhabited the church before they moved to the Church of San Giorgio. The latest rebuild was in the late 18th century, designed by Francesco Bognolo, the architect who also designed the Arsenale. In 1810, the church was closed by Napoleon, but reopened later that decade as a naval chapel. The church is now part of the naval museum, and services are rare.
Structure of Building
There is no bell tower associated with this church.
The image below depicts the floor plan of San Biagio, including the location of the Church Floor Artifacts.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm