Church of San Canciano
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Canciano, or San Canciano as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1351 and is a Catholic church.
San Cancian was first established in the 11th century and dedicated to three martyred saints, Canziano, Canzio and Canzionello. The church has since undergone numerous restorations, the latest of which was in the mid-16th century. The façade alone was built in the early 18th century by Antonio Gaspari. The funder of this project, Michele Tommasi, is commemorated in a bust over the main entrance. The church's many doors and windows bring in lots of light and add to the church's open feeling. The façade was damaged in a 1998 fire, but was undergoing restoration as of 2008.
Structure of Building
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm