Church of San Convertite
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Maria Maddalena Convertite, or San Convertite as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1400 and is a Catholic church.
Originally named for Mary Magdalen at its founding in 1534, it became known as Le Convertite to reflect its role in converting fallen women. The convent was also a hospice for reformed prostitutes. Although Napoleon denounced the convent in 1806, it was converted to an Austrian prison in 1857 and remains a women's penitentiary today.
Structure of Building
There is no bell tower associated with this church.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm