Church of San Cosmo
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di Cosma e Damiamo, or San Cosmo as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1501 and is a Catholic church.
Established as a convent in 1481, the Church of St. Cosma was not consecrated until 1583. Under Napoleon's rule, the nuns were moved to Church of San Zaccaria and the church was converted to a warehouse and barracks. After he left, the building has had many uses including a hospice for cholera victims in the 1880's, and textile factory until the 1970s, and now as a municipal office building. Several works of art remain out of sight, now that the church is not open to visitors; however, several are on rotation in the Accademia.
Structure of Building
The bell tower associated with this church is Bell Tower - San Cosmo. Please click the link to learn more!
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm