Church of San Gioacchino
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Gioacchino, or San Gioacchino as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1418 and is a Catholic church.
The church was constructed in the 11th century to shelter pilgrims. A hospital, named the Hospice of St Peter and St Paul, was also constructed on the grounds and occupied by Franciscan nuns. The convent was nearly wiped out during the plague, but both the church and hospital were renovated in the 18th century and rededicated to Santa Maria. The church was suppressed under Napoleon and never reopened as a church. In the late 20th century, the church and hospital underwent considerable restoration to convert the hospital into a student resident hall and the church into an exhibition hall.
Structure of Building
There is no bell tower associated with this church.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm