Church of San Giorgio degli Schiavoni
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Giorgio degli Schiavoni, or San Giorgio degli Schiavoni as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1451 and is a Catholic church.
The scuola was founded by Dalmatian immigrants called Schiavoni in the 15th century. The scuola received a relic of Saint Matthew at the beginning of the 16th century. After they received this, the order was inspired to restore the church and add commission to several paintings for the interior of the scuola. The scuola is still standing today and the paintings are still visible in both the lower and upper halls.
Structure of Building
There is no bell tower associated with this church.
The image below depicts the floor plan of San Giorgio degli Schiavoni, including the location of the Church Floor Artifacts.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm