Church of San Giovanni Elemosinario
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Giovanni Elemosinario, or San Giovanni Elemosinario as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1071 and is a Catholic church.
This church was founded in the 10th century and named for Saint John the Almsgiver, whose body is laid to rest in the Church of San Giovanni in Bragora in Castello. The church was rebuilt in the 12th century following the fire, and again in the 15th century, only to be destroyed by fire in the 16th century. The church was rebuilt in the 16th century and recently underwent extensive restoration in the early 2000s.
Structure of Building
The image below depicts the floor plan of San Giovanni Elemosinario, including the location of the Church Floor Artifacts.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm