Church of San Giovanni di Malta
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Giovanni dei Cavalieri di Malta, or San Giovanni di Malta as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1312 and is a Catholic church.
This church was built in the 12th century by the Knight Templar of Saint John. When the Knights Templar was dissolved in 1312, the church was passed to the Knights of Malta. The church was last rebuilt in the 16th century. The Church and monastery were suppressed by Napoleon in the early 19th century, but the church as reopened later in the century by the Knights of Jerusalem. When it was reopened, many pieces were brought from other suppressed churches to complete the nave, such as altars and sculptures.
Structure of Building
There is no bell tower associated with this church.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm