Church of San Girolomo
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Girolomo, or San Girolomo as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1425 and is a Catholic church.
This church and convent were founded in the 14th century by Augustinian nuns from the convent of Santa Maria degli Angeli on Murano. Several rebuilds occurred due to damaging fires, the most recent of which was in 1751. Napoleon closed both the church and convent in 1807,and in the mid 1800's the church was repurposed as a steam mill and sugar factory. In 1952, the church was restored and reopened for private uses and remains closed to the public.
Structure of Building
The image below depicts the floor plan of San Girolomo, including the location of the Church Floor Artifacts.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm