Church of San Gregorio
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Gregorio, or San Gregorio as it is locally known, was founded in the year 897 and is a Catholic church.
This church was founded in the 9th century, and then given to Benedictine monks who established a monastery there in the 12th century. The church was then rebuilt in the 15th century and has remained largely unchanged since. The façade is a three-part Gothic style. The church was suppressed by Napoleon in 1806 which was then converted into a metal refinery. It was later restored and converted to an art restoration laboratory in 1968, following the great flood of 1966.
Structure of Building
There is no bell tower associated with this church.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm