Church of San Pietro Martire
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Pietro Martire, or San Pietro Martire as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1363 and is a Catholic church.
Founded in 1348, the Church of San Pietro Martire was consecrated in honor of Saint John the Evangelist. At that time, a Dominican monastery also existed on the grounds, but has since been suppressed. After a fire in 1474, the church was rebuilt in 1511. Again in 1808, the church was closed, and all its artwork ransacked. The distinctive curved Renaissance style façade is part of the 1511 construction, but the interior was last renovated in 1928.
Structure of Building
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm