Church of San Pietro di Castello
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Pietro Apostolo, or San Pietro di Castello as it is locally known, was founded in the year 650 and is a Catholic church.
San Pietro is one of the twelve churches established by Saint Magnus in the 7th century. The church was enlarged in the 9th century and rededicated to St Peter. In the 15th century, St. Peter's became the home of the Venetian patriarch. The church underwent restoration in both the 12th and 16th centuries. The façade was not completed until the 17th century following Palladio's death. The patriarch remained at St. Peter's until napoleon invaded Venice in 1807 and this position was transferred to Basilica of San Marco.
Structure of Building
The image below depicts the floor plan of San Pietro di Castello, including the location of the Church Floor Artifacts.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm