Church of San Salvador
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di Ss. Salvatore, or San Salvador as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1141 and is a Catholic church.
This church was first built in the 7th century and named for the Savior who appeared in a dream to the builder of the church. The church was destroyed by fire in the 12th century and rebuilt as it appears of the De'Barbari Map. The current church was built in the 16th century, with the façade being added in the 17th century. As a result of the Austrian occupation of Venice in the 19th century, there is a cannon ball lodged in the bottom left corner of the façade.
Structure of Building
The image below depicts the floor plan of San Salvador, including the location of the Church Floor Artifacts.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm