Church of San Zandegola
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Giovanni Decollato, or San Zandegola as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1007 and is a Russian Orthodox church.
This church was founded at the beginning of the 11th century and named for Saint John the Baptist Beheaded. Reconstruction took place in the 13th century, but the façade was not added until the beginning of the 18th century. The church was suppressed by Napoleon in 1818 and was then used as a warehouse. In 1945, a serious renovation took place, revealing many covered frescoes and a ship's keel ceiling. In 1994, the church reopened to offer Russian Orthodox services.
Structure of Building
The image below depicts the floor plan of San Zandegola, including the location of the Church Floor Artifacts.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm