Church of Sant'Anna
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Anna, or Sant'Anna as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1297 and is a Catholic church.
The church was founded in the 13th century by Augustinians who dedicated the church to both St. Anne and St. Catherine. Over the next three hundred years, residency would we passed between Augustinian and Benedictine nuns. In the 17th century, the church and covenant were rebuilt. In 1807, both the church and covenant were suppressed by Napoleon and the nuns were moved to the Church of San Lorenzo, also located in Castello. The church was never reopened, but used for various naval purposes and is currently serving as a lumber storage unit.
Structure of Building
There is no bell tower associated with this church.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm