Church of Sant'Aponal
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Aponallinare, or Sant'Aponal as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1034 and is a Catholic church.
This church was founded in the 11th century and named for one of the city�s patron saints, Santa Appollinaire, fondly shortened to Sant�Aponal. The current Gothic church dates back to the 15th century with restoration occurring in the 16th century. The parish church was suppressed in 1810 by Napoleon, and was later used as a mill and a prison for political enemies. The church was reconsecrated in the 1850s with several of the original furnishings returned as well as contributions from various other suppressed churches in the city. In 1929, the sculptures surrounding the doorway were returned to the [[Church of Sant�Elena]] in Castello. The church was later closed in the 1980s.
Structure of Building
The bell tower associated with this church is Bell Tower - Sant'Aponal. Please click the link to learn more!
The image below depicts the floor plan of Sant'Aponal, including the location of the�Church Floor Artifacts.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm