Church of Santa Caterina
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Caterina, or Santa Caterina as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1274 and is a Catholic church.
Santa Caterina was founded in the 11th century, but was given to Augustinian nuns at the end of the 13th century. After being rebuilt in the 15th century, both the convent and church were suppressed by Napoleon in 1807 and reopened as a school. The church sustained damage during World War One and as a result of a later fire, causing the roof to be rebuilt in the popular ship's keel style.
Structure of Building
The image below depicts the floor plan of Santa Caterina, including the location of the Church Floor Artifacts.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm