Church of Santa Margherita
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Margherita, or Santa Margherita as it is locally known, was founded in the year 853 and is a Catholic church.
This church and convent were founded in the 15th century by Cistercian nuns who migrated from the island of Torcello. They brought with them many of the paintings that hung in the church before it was suppressed by Napoleon in 1806. The church was last rebuilt during the 16th century. The convent and church were converted to a school for girls in the 19th century, and then elderly housing. It is now part of the Universita Ca'Foscari.
Structure of Building
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm