Church of Santa Maria Maggiore
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Maria Maggiore, or Santa Maria Maggiore as it is locally known, was founded in the year 1400 and is a Catholic church.
A Franciscan convent was built in the 15th century for nuns from the Church of Sant'Agnese. The church was suppressed in 1805, and the nuns were forced to move to the Church of Santa Croce in San Marco, as their convent was being used as military barracks. The convent was demolished in 1900. After the suppression, the church became a tobacco factory warehouse before the grounds were extended and the church converted to a prison in the 1920's.
Structure of Building
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm