Church of Santa Sofia
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Sofia, or Santa Sofia as it is locally known, was founded in the year 866 and is a Catholic church.
Santa Sofia was established in the 9th century and three rebuilds occurred over the next seven hundred years. The current church was renovated in the 17th century after a fire destroyed the existing building. In the early 1800's, the church was sold to the Jewish community. The church façade is no longer visible from the street, as several store fronts are blocking the view.
Structure of Building
The image below depicts the floor plan of Santa Sofia, including the location of the Church Floor Artifacts.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm