Church of Santi Vito e Modesto
The façade of the church.
|Hours of Operation|
|Cost of Admission|
The Chiesa di S. Vito e Modesto, or Santi Vito e Modesto as it is locally known, was founded in the year 912 and is a Catholic church.
This church dedicated to martyrs Saint Vitus and Saint Modestus was founded in the 10th century. The church was rebuilt in the 14th century on the site where a palazzo used to stand. The Doge visited this church annually on Saint Vitus' day to commemorate Tiepolo's defeat. In order for the Doge to have a more grand entrance to the church for such an occasion, a second palazzo was demolished to extend the campo to the Grand Canal. Restoration in the 18th century found the floor of the original church underneath the existing one, proving the church's age. The church was closed in 1808 and then demolished a few years later. The remnants of the building have now been incorporated into a private home.
Structure of Building
There is no bell tower associated with this church.
- ↑ Lorenzetti, Giulio. “Venice and its Lagoon: Historical-Artistic Guide” Edizoni LINT S.R.L. Italy. 1994.
- ↑ Cotton, Jeff. “Churches of Venice” 2012. http://churchesofvenice.co.uk/index.htm