Ponte S. Giustina
|Minimum Height (m)|
Overview of Bridge
The Ponte S. Giustina was built primarily using Mattoni, Intonaco e Pietra d'Istria. It crosses the Rio de S. Giustina bridging a gap which is 12.12 meters. The bridge is not a crooked bridge. On the northern side of the bridge is the sestiere of Castello and on the southern side is also Castello .There are 2 ramps. On the north side there are 18 steps, on the south side there are 16 steps. This results in a total of 34 steps. The height of a typical step is 14.5 meters, the thickness of a step is about 45 centimeters, and the width of a step is about 1.71 meters.The steps are paved with Asfalto. The bridge is not handicapped accessible and it does not have an additional railing. The summit is 3.08 meters wide and 2.92 meters in length for a total area of about 8.99 meters. The summit is paved with Asfalto. Also, this bridge has 1 arch. The bridge's Piena railing is made of Mattoni, Intonaco e Pietra d'Istria and is about 41.00 meters wide is about 0.97 meters tall. Finally, the bridge protrudes 0.6 meters to the North and 0.4 meters to the South.
The following is any history we have regarding the bridge's origins:
. Reputasi that the former parish church of St. Giustina enter the ranks of those erected in the seventh century by St. Great. After having been, apparently, rebuilt, had consecration in 1219 at the hands of Cardinal Ugolino of Ostia, apostolic legate, shortly after Gregory IX. It is known that from the very beginning of this century was officiated by the Canons Regular of which ignorasi the institute. In course of time, according to the Corner, was consigned to the Canons Regular of St. Saviour, which, by apostolic decree of the year 1448, were replaced by Augustinian nuns, drawn from the Monastery of the Angels of Murano. Other restorations had in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, as well as in the eighteenth century, enabled once September 5, 1774 was no precipitate the ceiling, crushing the table of two altars, and the organ. We read that on this occasion, who rushed to one of the patricians Gradenigo, domiciled in contrast, could, together with a religious, usually in his family to attend, retrieve the remains of an old woman who kept the church, and translate it, because he was rescued, in his palace . The church of S. Justina was closed in 1810, demolished in 1841, its bell tower, and in 1844 was divided into two floors because they were to lend, with part of the convent, Home on Military Education, in which circumstance he also reformed the facade (built in 1640 design by Longhena, at the expense of the patricians Soranzo with toglimento of the eardrum, and the statues that decorated it. now the premises are closed. was the custom that every year this church was visited on the day of St. Justine by the Doge and the Signoria memory of the triumph achieved on that day, the year 1571, over the Turks at Curzolari.
The bridge is located at the following coordinates:
Latitude: 45.4382026° N
Longitude: 12.345819° E