Ponte S. Paternian
|Minimum Height (m)|
Overview of Bridge
The Ponte S. Paternian , constructed in 1746, was built primarily using Mattoni e Pietra d'Istria. Since then the bridge was last restored on 01-Jan-95.It crosses the Rio de S. Luca bridging a gap which is 7.74 meters. The bridge is not a crooked bridge. On the northern side of the bridge is the sestiere of San Marco and on the southern side is also San Marco .There are 2 ramps. On the north side there are 14 steps, on the south side there are 14 steps. This results in a total of 28 steps. The height of a typical step is 12 meters, the thickness of a step is about 43 centimeters, and the width of a step is about 1.4 meters.The steps are paved with Trachite. The bridge is not handicapped accessible and it does not have an additional railing. The summit is 3.06 meters wide and 4.87 meters in length for a total area of about 14.90 meters. The summit is paved with Trachite. Also, this bridge has 1 arch. The bridge's Vuoto Geometrico railing is made of Metallo and is about 4.00 meters wide is about 0.88 meters tall. Finally, the bridge protrudes 1 meter to the North and 0 meters to the South.
The following is any history we have regarding the bridge's origins:
. Raccontasi that the family Andrearda founded in the ninth century a wooden church in honor of Bishop S. Paterniano, whose image had been transported to Venice from the March of Ancona, and veneravasi in a small shrine in the public highway. This church was soon made the parish and with stable assets by the Doge Pietro Candiano IV in 959. Later, he had to suffer various fire in 976, in 1105, in 1168, and in 1437, but always rialzossi, and remained open until 1810, a period in which it was suppressed, and reduced to a warehouse. In 1871 finally atterrossi with its ancient tower, construct the last year on the thousand by some Venetian workers, escaped from slavery the Saracens. In this bell appiccossi in 1562 the sacristan of the church itself, as noted by the code Stork 1724 with the words: \Die 26 Martti 1562 suspendit if laqueo into a bell tower, et periit sacristan S. Paterniani. \ Avendosi July 10, 1631 reported armed naval victory against the Turks, comandossi that in this day sacred to St. Paterniano, were the musicians of the ducal basilica annually bring it to the church to sing a Holy Mass in thanksgiving dell'ottenuto benefit .
The bridge is located at the following coordinates:
Latitude: 45.4353028° N
Longitude: 12.3338063° E