Ponte S. Sebastian
|Minimum Height (m)|
Overview of Bridge
The Ponte S. Sebastian was built primarily using Mattoni e Pietra d'Istria. It crosses the Rio de S. Sebastian e S. Basegio bridging a gap which is 12.07 meters. The bridge is not a crooked bridge. On the northern side of the bridge is the sestiere of Dorsoduro and on the southern side is also Dorsoduro .There are 2 ramps. On the north side there are 10 steps, on the south side there are 10 steps. This results in a total of 20 steps. The height of a typical step is 14 meters, the thickness of a step is about 45 centimeters, and the width of a step is about 4.7 meters.The steps are paved with Trachite. The bridge is not handicapped accessible and it does not have an additional railing. The summit is 4.78 meters wide and 4.1 meters in length for a total area of about 19.60 meters. The summit is paved with Trachite. Also, this bridge has 1 arch. The bridge's Piena railing is made of Mattoni e Pietra d'Istria and is about 26.00 meters wide is about 1.01 meters tall. Finally, the bridge protrudes 0.3 meters to the North and 0.3 meters to the South.
The following is any history we have regarding the bridge's origins:
. Fra 'Angelo di Corsica ascribed to the Congregation of St. Jerome, founded by Blessed Peter Gambacorti from Pisa, came shortly after 1393 with some of his companions from Rimini to Venice, and manufactured at the site of which is now a hospice speech. In 1396 there arose beside a chapel under the title of \S. Mary full of grace and justice, \especially in regard of Fra 'Giovanni da Ravenna, and the priest Leonardo Pisani, the noble Venetian. In 1455 the oratory trasformossi in a larger church, dedicated to the martyr St. Sebastian, which had its completion in 1468. In 1470, the fathers instituted a school under the invocation of the same saint. The present church, however, that not incominciossi in 1506 with design Scarpagnino, and was finished in 1548 and consecrated in 1562 by G. Francesco de 'Rossi, Bishop of Aura, or Auria, in Thrace. In the early years of the present century were concentrated in the convent of S. Sebastiano fathers Victory of Verona, and the church ufficiossi by regular until 1810, when, completely suppressed the Congregation, became branch of the SS. Gervasio and Protasio. The convent was later largely demolished, but in 1851 had a rifabbrica to introduce the women's section of the Institute Manin, under the direction of the Daughters of St. Giuseppe.Qui, according to tradition, he lived for a time prison Paolo Caliari, known as \Veronese\, the narrator for offending a powerful, who for killing a insulter, who for some other reason. But history offers no document about it. We know only that the \Veronese\ profusely decorated with its own brush the church of S. Sebastian, and who came to die, it was in the grave.
The bridge is located at the following coordinates:
Latitude: 45.4320192° N
Longitude: 12.3204854° E