Ponte ai Incurabili
|Minimum Height (m)|
Overview of Bridge
The Ponte ai Incurabili was built primarily using Mattoni e Pietra d'Istria. It crosses the Rio de le Toresele bridging a gap which is 6.35 meters. The bridge is not a crooked bridge. On the northern side of the bridge is the sestiere of Dorsoduro and on the southern side is also Dorsoduro .There are 2 ramps. On the north side there are 9 steps, on the south side there are 9 steps. This results in a total of 18 steps. The height of a typical step is 13 meters, the thickness of a step is about 50 centimeters, and the width of a step is about 3.35 meters.The steps are paved with Trachite. The bridge is not handicapped accessible and it does not have an additional railing. The summit is 3.35 meters wide and 3.25 meters in length for a total area of about 10.89 meters. The summit is paved with Trachite. Also, this bridge has 1 arch. The bridge's Vuoto Geometrico railing is made of Metallo e Pietra d'Istria and is about 4.00 meters wide is about 1.03 meters tall. Finally, the bridge protrudes 0.25 meters to the North and 0.25 meters to the South.
The following is any history we have regarding the bridge's origins:
on rafts. The hospitable for Incurables was founded in 1522, by insinuation of St. Cajetan of Thiene, by Maria Malipiero and Marina Grimani, who had given shelter in a nearby house to three poor women from S. Rocco, suffering from venereal disease, then riputata incurable. From the beginning it was made of wood, and in the same year of its foundation was enlarged. In 1523, then there was erected beside a church, which is built in 1566 in most large and consecr� in 1600 under the invocation of SS. Savior. Even the hospitable probably was rebuilt in 1572. With regard to the architects, the disparities between the views, it is useful to believe that the model of the church has given Cav. Antonio Zentani, assisted by Sansovino, and that the factory was accomplished by Da Ponte, which is the main door of the hospitable, and which can be Yea, or in whole or in part, the same hospitable. This beautiful place was intended to first just sick of incurable diseases, but soon after orphans and cherubs are also accepted for educating them in Christian doctrine, nell'arti, and crafts. In effect we know that from 1531 to the Governors of the hospital called St. Jerome Miani, entrusting the care \yes putti that of the sick,\ who went there taking with him other orphans, who had already gathered in a house near the church of S. Rocco. In the hospitable the Incurable used the same S. Francis Xavier, designed in 1537 to this office with four other companions from S. Ignatius Loyola. The direction of the pious, with regard to spiritual things, was first entrusted to the Clerks Regular of St. Gaetano, and afterwards to the Jesuits of which was Xavier, and lately in memory of Miani, clerics regular Somasca. Pell'assistenza dell'inferme and pell'educazione of the maidens in the early years there were twelve noble women, and for the care of sick some gentlemen, which came to an end as a result, and governors, chosen from among the nobles and citizens , took care of everything coll'ajuto of people employed. After 1782 the Superintendent shrank in the person of a governor only. The maidens educated in this hospice learned the music, and they were celebrated in song. In 1807 the club was the Incurable use of Hospitable Civic, and in 1819 was reduced to barracks, as is found nowadays. In this circumstance closed the church, which existed where nowadays opens the courtyard and came to serve as a store of materials Army Corps of Engineers, until, stripped of marble, altars and paintings, it was completely demolished in 1831.
The bridge is located at the following coordinates:
Latitude: 45.4286631° N
Longitude: 12.329716° E