Ponte de S. Francesco
|Minimum Height (m)|
Overview of Bridge
The Ponte de S. Francesco was built primarily using Mattoni, Intonaco e Pietra d'Istria. It crosses the Rio de S. Francesco de la Vigna bridging a gap which is 10.09 meters. The bridge is not a crooked bridge. On the northern side of the bridge is the sestiere of Castello and on the southern side is also Castello .There are 2 ramps. On the north side there are 14 steps, on the south side there are 14 steps. This results in a total of 28 steps. The height of a typical step is 11 meters, the thickness of a step is about 50 centimeters, and the width of a step is about 2.61 meters.The steps are paved with Asfalto. The bridge is not handicapped accessible and it does not have an additional railing. The summit is 3.5 meters wide and 3.9 meters in length for a total area of about 13.65 meters. The summit is paved with Asfalto. Also, this bridge has 1 arch. The bridge's Piena railing is made of Mattoni, Intonaco e Pietra d'Istria and is about 34.00 meters wide is about 0.82 meters tall. Finally, the bridge protrudes 0 meters to the North and 0 meters to the South.
The following is any history we have regarding the bridge's origins:
. Among the many vineyards, which eranvi in ??Venice, the largest of all, and before that had fructified riputavasi family Ziani. In it scorgevasi a small church, dedicated to St. Mark, because, according to vulgar tradition, this was the place where he had've been attacked by the Evangelist fair gale, and eragli appeared an angel saying: \Pax tibi Marce evangelista meus,\ and profetizzandogli the future foundation of Venice. The vineyard, of which we speak, together with the church and a few workshops, was left by will, June 25, 1253, by Marco Ziani Count of Rab, son of the Doge Pietro, the 'Friars Minor', or 'the Friars Preachers', or' Cistercians. \ They were given the preference of the Minor, who stopped stable home. Sprung up as a result the number of them, they had to expand their convent, and erected a new church on the design of Marino from Pisa, which is called S. Francesco della Vigna, leaving intact, however, that of S. Mark, who remained standing until 1810 in the garden of the Fathers. Threatening the church of S. Francesco ruin in the sixteenth century, it was decided to rifabbricarla above designed by Sansovino, and the first stone was laid on the work day on August 15, 1543. Insurgents, however, some dispareri, was for some time intermesso work, and consultossi the friar Francesco Giorgi, who released over the rifabbrica his opinion in writing, he had to comply with the Sansovino. Not even liked the design of the facade designed by this architect, and was chosen another design presented by Palladio in 1562. Allude to these contentions probably the inscriptions that appear in intercolunnii of the two wings, where one side is written: \Do not sine Jugi inner\ and the other \Exteriorique beautiful.\ Finally accomplished the church, had consecration August 2, 1582 by Julius Superchio Bishop of Caorle. The convent was on that occasion some renovations, but, during the reign of the Napoleonic suppression of religious orders, was, like many others, reduced to barracks. And barracks continued to lend also enabled once the Minor were restored in 1836 in Venice, who went to live next to another convent, founded until the fifteenth century by Maria Benedetta Princess of Carignano, and Maria Angela Canal to the Franciscan Tertiary, monastery monks that they later expanded with the union of the palace of the Nunciature. But in 1866 these abandoned factories, and currently occupy their ancient convent, bought by the \Commissariat of the Holy Land.\ The establishment of the parish of St. Francesco della Vigna date from 1810. He then wrote his spiritual district with some districts of the then suppressed parishes of St. Giustina, S. Maternity and S. Antonino.
The bridge is located at the following coordinates:
Latitude: 45.43777° N
Longitude: 12.3473226° E