Ponte de l'Abazia
|Minimum Height (m)|
Overview of Bridge
The Ponte de l'Abazia was built primarily using Legno. It crosses the Rio de la Salute bridging a gap which is 7.12 meters. The bridge is not a crooked bridge. On the northern side of the bridge is the sestiere of Dorsoduro and on the southern side is also Dorsoduro .There are 2 ramps. On the north side there are 10 steps, on the south side there are 10 steps. This results in a total of 20 steps. The height of a typical step is 13 meters, the thickness of a step is about 36 centimeters, and the width of a step is about 2.83 meters.The steps are paved with Legno. The bridge is not handicapped accessible and it does not have an additional railing. The summit is 2.83 meters wide and 3.03 meters in length for a total area of about 8.57 meters. The summit is paved with Legno. Also, this bridge has 1 arch. The bridge's Vuoto Geometrico railing is made of Legno and is about 14.00 meters wide is about 0.98 meters tall. Finally, the bridge protrudes 0.3 meters to the North and 0.3 meters to the South.
The following is any history we have regarding the bridge's origins:
to S. Maria della Misericordia. The abbey church of S. Maria della Misericordia, called the Abbey, soared above 939 in a grassy ground, called Val Verde, or only Caesar of the Julii, said Andreardo, or by families and Giulia Moro joint together. In the first surrendered to hermits, monks and thus, probably Augustinians, who erected next to a convent, which perished in the plague of 1348, the prior, who alone was left on, he gave before his death his dignity to Luca Moro . These obtained in 1369 that his family should have the patronage of the church in perpetuity. The fa�ade of the same was raised in the seventeenth century on the design of Clemente Moli, at the expense of Gasparo Moro eminent philosopher. The interior, however, threatened to fall, and it was preserved prior to the credit of Monsignor Pietro Pianton, who practiced radical restoration. This church closed in 1868 went, but was bought in 1884 by the Patriarch of Venice Domenico Agostini coll'intendimento to return to divine worship.\nAmong the priors of St. Maria della Misericordia is worthy of mention the pious and learned Jerome Savina, which obtained from Clement VIII for himself and successors the right to wear the miter and the crosier. Having been poisoned by a wicked priest in the sacred chalice, he wished before he died, June 9, 1601, which were to be pardoned from the sacrilegious murder.\nWe learn from an engraving of Lovisa that the \Bridge of the Abbey\ was in the last century stone. So it was landed, and in 1833 rebuilt of wood.\nOn the \Foundation of the Abbey,\ in the so-called \New Court\, the Scuola Grande di S. Our Lady of Mercy had a hospice, or, as was said, hospice, pei brothers poor. The entrance of the Court over the arch is decorated by a sculpture of the B. V. and Saints, and below is an inscription from which we learn that the factory of those houses was begun and completed in 1505, under the principality of Leonardo Loredan.
The bridge is located at the following coordinates:
Latitude: 45.4307778° N
Longitude: 12.334259° E