Ponte de la Canonica
|Minimum Height (m)|
Overview of Bridge
The Ponte de la Canonica was built primarily using Mattoni e Pietra d'Istria. It crosses the Rio de la Canonica o de Palazzo bridging a gap which is 10.68 meters. The bridge is not a crooked bridge. On the northern side of the bridge is the sestiere of San Marco and on the southern side is Castello .There are 2 ramps. On the north side there are 5 steps, on the south side there are 11 steps. This results in a total of 16 steps. The height of a typical step is 12.5 meters, the thickness of a step is about 94 centimeters, and the width of a step is about 1.82 meters.The steps are paved with Trachite. The bridge is not handicapped accessible and it does not have an additional railing. The summit is 3.87 meters wide and 3.89 meters in length for a total area of about 15.05 meters. The summit is paved with Trachite. Also, this bridge has 1 arch. The bridge's Colonnette railing is made of Pietra d'Istria and is about 31.00 meters wide is about 0.90 meters tall. Finally, the bridge protrudes 0.4 meters to the North and 0.4 meters to the South.
The following is any history we have regarding the bridge's origins:
to S. Marco. From the houses where, with the remainder of the clergy in charge of the Basilica, resided the canons of S. Marco. They formerly dicevansi chaplains, and their comeback all'829 institution in which, as he says Pier Giustiniani in its history, the Doge Giovanni Partecipazio \primicerium et cappellanos instituit, here diurnum nocturnumque officium divinis laudibus celebrarent.\ Varied the number of these canons, leggendosi that in 1393, when the Doge Antonio Venier alquanti they invested, they found themselves at number 26, and that in recent centuries narrowed to 12 only. The houses of their residence were addressed to them by the Doge Ziani. Were rebuilt in 1210 by Angelo Falier, only then Attorney S. Marco, and reduced in stone in 1346. The string in his Additions to the \Venice\ of Sansovino, published in 1604, which refers to 'his times were 24, arranged as follows: 12 canons resident pei, pei sacrestani 2, 5 sottocanonici pei, pei sottosacrestani 2, 1 pel master of the chapel, and the other 2 pei guardians of the church. The sixth of sottocanonici had also formerly the home, but it had been demolished because, being too close to the basilica, might cause her danger of fire, and in return received from the above-mentioned sottocanonico Procuratia a corresponding compensation in cash. For proof of the same string, then these homes had the look of a convent with a courtyard in the middle, well equipped, and surrounded by porticoes on the floor, and an upper hallway. The entry then, as evidenced by the manuscript work of Todeschini, cited elsewhere, with the title: \the dignity of the Procurators of S. Marco, \was on the side of the square of S. Basso. From 1597 until the prosecutors had devised to rebuild the Canonica, but, for various impediments that there frapposero, this had no effect before 1618, terminandosi the work in 1635.\nA proud if born in the year 1456 Canonica di San Marco. It contained a priest in Venice Victor, man of evil nature, and, according to this' superstitious times, linked in friendship with the devil, who held the bag to his rascality \in the form canis books.\ He, knowing that in the Rectory of St. Marco lived a canonical Mauro d'Otranto, wealthy man, he climbed onto the roof of the house with him, and for the fireplace filled the room he inhabited. The canon was then singing in church in the morning, so that pre 'Victor went meanwhile examining where he kept his money, and thereafter, for to await the opportune time, he hid \in callicella lecti.\ When he returned to the canon, if hurled, he struggled long with the same, and it was not until maybe you saw less of forces that broke from the fray, and besought him to let him go. He did agree the canon, and prepared to accompany pre 'Victor outside the door, but these, feigning fear, wanted precede him, and when he reached the end of the staircase, threw a rope around his neck, trying to choke him with his hands Yea. This gave rise to fight more fair; pre 'Victor shook, pre' Mauro biting the hands of pre 'Victor, as long as they brandished his sword, in order to pre' Mauro was girded, and stabbed him in the throat. After that dragged the corpse in the street, threw him on the wood, and began to steal the house. For this crime pre 'Victor was put to the torture, and, having first of the patriarchal vicar Nicholas by Croci, confessed everything, was demoted, and surrendered to the secular, March 19, 1456 that he did hang on the forks.\nThe \Ponte di Canonica\ was erected, according to many commentators, after the murder committed over Vitale Michiel II in 1172, and this because the doges were marked with the day of Easter, not for the \Riva degli Schiavoni\, but for within, to visit the church of S. Zechariah. See Rasse (Calle delle). Others want the same bridge was erected somewhat earlier, ie in 864, after the murder of Doge Pietro Tradonico. This rifabbrica above plan of Antonio Mazzoni, date from 1755.\nAt the \Bridge,\ and above the \Rio di Canonica\ Lombard is a magnificent palace, which was the first Trevisan, and afterwards of the hat. Some believed that these thresholds fled in 1563 the famous Bianca Cappello. But the documents discovered in its stead proved that the palace, where White lived, is located on the 'Crooked Bridge' in S. Apollinaris. V. Storto (Bridge). It but, when he was already fled from Venice, and was in Florence mistress of the Grand Duke, bought the palace of \Canonica\ by N. U. Domenico Trevisan q. Angel with instrument October 4, 1577, in acts of Antonio Callegarini, donollo and his brother Victor towards the other instrument May 12, 1578, in the acts of the same notary.
The bridge is located at the following coordinates:
Latitude: 45.4349469° N
Longitude: 12.3406252° E