Ponte de la Salute
|Minimum Height (m)|
Overview of Bridge
The Ponte de la Salute was built primarily using Pietra d'Istria. It crosses the Rio de la Salute bridging a gap which is 8.07 meters. The bridge is not a crooked bridge. On the northern side of the bridge is the sestiere of Dorsoduro and on the southern side is also Dorsoduro .There are 2 ramps. On the north side there are 8 steps, on the south side there are 10 steps. This results in a total of 18 steps. The height of a typical step is 14 meters, the thickness of a step is about 50 centimeters, and the width of a step is about 6.15 meters.The steps are paved with Trachite. The bridge is not handicapped accessible and it does not have an additional railing. The summit is 6.15 meters wide and 4.16 meters in length for a total area of about 25.58 meters. The summit is paved with Trachite. Also, this bridge has 1 arch. The bridge's Vuoto Decorato railing is made of Metallo e Pietra d'Istria and is about 5.00 meters wide is about 0.98 meters tall. Finally, the bridge protrudes 0.6 meters to the North and 0.6 meters to the South.
The following is any history we have regarding the bridge's origins:
. At the place where now stands the Church of S. Maria della Salute eranvi formerly a monastery and a church dedicated to SS. Trinity, which were donated in 1256 by the Republic to the Teutonic Knights in the award of the assistance they had against the Genoese. Suppressed in 1592 by Pope Clement VIII, the priory of the Knights Venetian above, these factories are assigned to the patriarchate of Venice for the foundation of a seminary clerics, who already was planting in the cloister of S. Cyprian of Murano. They stood clerics in the new hospice until 1630 when, plagued the city from pestilence, the Senate vowed to build a temple in S. Maria della Salute if he implored deliverance from the plague. Dileguatosi's disease in 1631, he wanted to fulfill his promise, and meanwhile fabbricossi a large wooden church. Thereafter, landed the monastery and church of SS. Trinity, clerics and transported back to Murano, soared behind design Longhena, the magnificent temple that we now see. And while it was advancing the Senate decreed in 1656 to deliver it to the congregation of regular clerics Somasca, who, with the same design Longhena, you gave rise to a convent next door, which was fulfilled in 1672 at the same time the temple. The latter then consecrossi in 1687. The convent of S. Maria della Salute was suppressed, like all the others, in the beginning of the present century, and in 1817 there came from Murano to transfer the seminary of the clergy, which still flourishes there. On the day of B. V. Health of the temple dedicated to it visitavasi each year by the Doge and the Signoria in memory of the pardon. Visitavasi well as the day of St. Anthony of Padua, having, for control of the Senate, placed in the church of Health a relic of the Healer, and believing that, through the intercession of him, the Venetian fleet had remained free from contagious disease at Castelnuovo in 1687.
The bridge is located at the following coordinates:
Latitude: 45.430234° N
Longitude: 12.3343836° E