Ponte dei Gesuiti
|Minimum Height (m)|
Overview of Bridge
The Ponte dei Gesuiti was built primarily using Mattoni e Pietra d'Istria. It crosses the Rio de S. Caterina bridging a gap which is 12.11 meters. The bridge is not a crooked bridge. On the northern side of the bridge is the sestiere of Cannaregio and on the southern side is also Cannaregio .There are 2 ramps. On the north side there are 15 steps, on the south side there are 16 steps. This results in a total of 31 steps. The height of a typical step is 11 meters, the thickness of a step is about 44 centimeters, and the width of a step is about 4.1 meters.The steps are paved with Asfalto. The bridge is not handicapped accessible and it does not have an additional railing. The summit is 4.8 meters wide and 4.1 meters in length for a total area of about 19.68 meters. The summit is paved with Asfalto. Also, this bridge has 1 arch. The bridge's Piena railing is made of Mattoni e Pietra d'Istria and is about 36.00 meters wide is about 0.85 meters tall. Finally, the bridge protrudes 0.43 meters to the North and 0.56 meters to the South.
The following is any history we have regarding the bridge's origins:
. In 1150 or 1155, the Crociferi, vulgarly \Crosechieri,\ with the help of certain Peter Gussoni, or Cleto Grausoni, built a monastery in this situation, a hospital, and a temple dedicated to St. Maria Assunta, which was rebuilt after the fire of 1214. Commendation passed all the convents of the order of the Crociferis, this St. Maria Assunta was granted in 1464 to Cardinal Pietro Barbo, and then to the famous Bessarion, who died in 1472. Meanwhile, as the Crociferi fallen into a great laxity of morals, the Senate tried at the S. See who were expelled from their convent, and there sottentrassero Franciscan nuns. But neither the Franciscans nor the Canons Regular of St. Spirit, nor the religious Served, all intent at various times to have the convent mentioned, they could get on top of their desires. It was a prey to the flames in 1514, and was therefore a rifabbrica. Following Pius V laugh at the Crociferi all rents of commanderies, already confiscated, and they went in 1568 to regulate the reform. However, since the fathers fell back in their errors, Innocent X suppressed 21 of their convents, leaving only 4 exist, the head of which made for this in Venice. The four survivors were finally suppressed by Alexander VII in 1656 in order to assign the goods to the Republic, troubled by the war of Candia. At this juncture the Jesuits, who in 1606, in disputes between the Republic and Pope Paul V, had left Venice, returning, bought fifty thousand ducats to the monastery of the Crociferis, and in 1657 we stared at home. The church had been falling, he took in 1715 to raise it up from the foundations, and in fifteen years was accomplished on a design by Domenico Rossi. G. Baptist Fattoretto erected the facade. Suppressed the Jesuits in 1773, the monastery served to their use of public schools, and in 1807 the barracks. The church remained officiated as a subsidiary of the parish of SS. Apostles, until 1844, when it returned to the Jesuits, who took to live in a home adjacent to the \New Fondamente,\ where, although small in number, live tuttora.In \Field of the Jesuits' there is the ancient hospital of crucifers, which in the thirteenth century was benefited by Bertoldo patriarch of Aquileia, and the Doge Renier Zeno. Open from the very beginning to the poor and infirm of both sexes, from the mid-fifteenth century it does not host that poor women. The adjoining chapel, rebuilt in 1553, was a sacred time to the Blessed Virgin, but in 1844 it was granted by the Directorate of the House of Refuge and hospices to the Brotherhood of Sts. Philippe and Louis, whereupon presently has these owners. See: Bellomo, \Historical and picturesque Oratory of SS Philip Blacks and Luigi Gonzaga. Venice, Molinari, 1846. \ This oratory he restored in 1881. It portrays the verci (\History of Ecelini\ that in the Hospital of the Crociferis was solemnly sworn peace June 23, 1221 between the Patriarch Berthold, and the Venetians. Facevasi In the same field the game of football. We have a table, published by Domenico Lovisa , that it is playing in that location, interesting table because, beyond the facade of the church of the Jesuits without statues, will you spot the school of \Varoteri\ (furriers spring at the bottom of the field, and the arc subject to which he had access to \New Fondamente.\ The game of football was banned in \Field of the Jesuits\ by decree of the Council of Ten, April 21, 1711.
The bridge is located at the following coordinates:
Latitude: 45.4426331° N
Longitude: 12.3382632° E