Ponte dei Mendicanti
|Minimum Height (m)|
Overview of Bridge
The Ponte dei Mendicanti was built primarily using Mattoni e Pietra d'Istria. It crosses the Rio dei Mendicanti o de S. Zanipolo bridging a gap which is 16.23 meters. The bridge is not a crooked bridge. On the northern side of the bridge is the sestiere of Cannaregio and on the southern side is Castello .There are 2 ramps. On the north side there are 16 steps, on the south side there are 16 steps. This results in a total of 32 steps. The height of a typical step is 11.5 meters, the thickness of a step is about 59.5 centimeters, and the width of a step is about 5.12 meters.The steps are paved with Asfalto. The bridge is not handicapped accessible and it does not have an additional railing. The summit is 5.5 meters wide and 5.64 meters in length for a total area of about 31.02 meters. The summit is paved with Asfalto. Also, this bridge has 1 arch. The bridge's Vuoto Geometrico railing is made of Metallo e Pietra d'Istria and is about 3.50 meters wide is about 0.95 meters tall. Finally, the bridge protrudes 3.2 meters to the North and 2.75 meters to the South.
The following is any history we have regarding the bridge's origins:
. The origin of the hospitable Beggars dates back to the thirteenth century when the Venetians woods, returning from Soria, imported leprosy. Then (year 1224 gathered those who were affected in a Court to SS. Gervasio and Protasio, which was called San Lazzaro, giving himself such a name commonly leprosy. In 1262 it carried the sick on a small island in the lagoon, pel same reason appealed later to San Lazzaro, where, diminuitasi leprosy, were concentrated in the sixteenth century 'old beggars and powerless. \Finally, in the following primordii the seventeenth century, the love of the Venetians, and especially that of the rich merchants Bartolammeo Bontempelli by Chalice and Domenico G. Biava gave rise pei beggars, on the design of Scamozzi, a hospice located in the interior of the city, to SS. Giovanni e Paolo, not far from the \New Fondamente.\ This church was planted in the center Scamozzi of the hospital, you consecr� in 1636 under the invocation of St. Lazarus, and in 1673 soared its prospectus on the design of Giuseppe Sardi, just the will of the other mercadante Jacopo Galli. Closed the hospice of the Beggars at the same time the church after the fall of the Republic, he was assigned in 1809 to welcoming military together with the School of St. Mark, in the Chapel of Peace and the convent of SS. Giovanni e Paolo. All these buildings formed then in 1819 the Hospital Civil, for indoor use which you laugh in 1826 the church for worship. Ricovrandosi, under the Republic, the Beggars also abandoned girls, they were learned in instrumental and vocal music, so who used to accompany singing with the sound and the ecclesiastical functions, and perform the famous speakers. praticavasi This equally to the Piet�, and Ospedaletto Incurabili. The \Bridge of Beggars,\ which was made of stone, it was for old age landed in 1828, and replaced with a wooden bridge, but was rebuilt in marble after a few years.
The bridge is located at the following coordinates:
Latitude: 45.4418659° N
Longitude: 12.3426282° E