Ponte dei Tolentini
|Minimum Height (m)|
Overview of Bridge
The Ponte dei Tolentini was built primarily using Mattoni e Pietra d'Istria. Since then the bridge was last restored on 01-Jan-99.It crosses the Rio dei Tolentini e de la Crose bridging a gap which is 12.14 meters. The bridge is not a crooked bridge. On the northern side of the bridge is the sestiere of Santa Croce and on the southern side is also Santa Croce .There are 2 ramps. On the north side there are 10 steps, on the south side there are 10 steps. This results in a total of 20 steps. The height of a typical step is 14 meters, the thickness of a step is about 42 centimeters, and the width of a step is about 3.13 meters.The steps are paved with Trachite. The bridge is not handicapped accessible and it does not have an additional railing. The summit is 3.13 meters wide and 3.95 meters in length for a total area of about 12.36 meters. The summit is paved with Trachite. Also, this bridge has 1 arch. The bridge's Piena railing is made of Mattoni, Intonaco e Pietra d'Istria and is about 27.00 meters wide is about 0.97 meters tall. Finally, the bridge protrudes 0.4 meters to the North and 0.4 meters to the South.
The following is any history we have regarding the bridge's origins:
. On the occasion of the famous sack Rome suffered by the arms of Charles V, the Clerics Regular Teatini, the congregation of which had been founded in that city in 1524 by Giovanni Pietro Caraffa, afterwards Paul IV, and S. Cajetan of Thiene, sought shelter in Venice. They lived at first in the hospitable the Incurable, then the Giudecca, then in the abbey of St. Gregory, and finally, obtained in 1528 a chapel, a devout confraternity had made up from 1505 in honor of St. Nicol� da Tolentino in the parish of S. Pantaleon, at the same settled. They s'accinsero in 1591 to extend it, and lift you up following a convent, entrusting both operas architect Scamozzi. The temple, which was built beautiful and grand, was consecrated October 20, 1602 by Matthew Zane patriarch of Venice, under the ancient title of S. Nicholas of Tolentino, in order to corruptly afterwards it was said of the \Tolentini.\ The magnificent vestibule was added by Andrea Tirali on the model of the Temple of Antoninus and Faustina in Rome. Coupling the year 1810 the convent was reduced to barracks, and the church was declared parish, district assegnandovisi for the greater part of the suppressed parish of St. Cross, and some fraction of those of S. Margarita, and S. Pantaleon. Having Francesco Morosini in 1684, the day of St. Gaetano purchased Crowns, it was decreed that the standard two-tailed taken to serraschiere Ottoman Empire was hanging at the altar of that saint in the church of Tolentini. Then succeeded the conquest of all the Morea, Corinth, and Athens, we wanted Yea that same church was visited every year by the Doge and the Signoria, the day of St. Gaetano in gratitude under the auspices of him had begun the favorable progress of the war.
The bridge is located at the following coordinates:
Latitude: 45.4378597° N
Longitude: 12.3212514° E