Ponte del Gaffaro
|Minimum Height (m)|
Overview of Bridge
The Ponte del Gaffaro was built primarily using Pietra d'Istria. It crosses the Rio del Gaffaro e del Malcanton bridging a gap which is 9.2 meters. The bridge is not a crooked bridge. On the northern side of the bridge is the sestiere of Santa Croce and on the southern side is Dorsoduro .There are 2 ramps. On the north side there are 12 steps, on the south side there are 12 steps. This results in a total of 24 steps. The height of a typical step is 14 meters, the thickness of a step is about 40.5 centimeters, and the width of a step is about 2.97 meters.The steps are paved with Trachite. The bridge is not handicapped accessible and it does not have an additional railing. The summit is 2.97 meters wide and 1.83 meters in length for a total area of about 5.44 meters. The summit is paved with Trachite. Also, this bridge has 1 arch. The bridge's Vuoto Decorato railing is made of Metallo e Pietra d'Istria and is about 6.00 meters wide is about 0.96 meters tall. Finally, the bridge protrudes 0.35 meters to the North and 0.35 meters to the South.
The following is any history we have regarding the bridge's origins:
�ai Tolentini. Erra the Filiasi (\Essay on Ancient Trade 'and so on.\ Of the Venetians' saying that these roads, subject to a time in the parish of St. Cross, took the name dall'avervi inhabited one of those leaders of the Arabs, called in Cairo \ gaffer, \with which the Venetians, like other European merchants, they used to, at its guaranty, conclude contracts. Here, on the contrary, as the well-known Gallicciolli, remains the memory of a family gaffaro. Among the inscriptions of the church of mortuary carmini, reported by collectors, we have the following: Sepultura Jacobi Gaffaro De confinio Sanctae Crucis et Sister. Hered. MD. Die VII Junii. And in the middle of the Conditions of the parish of the Holy Cross (an. 1514 is found that of \Anzola Gaffaro relita de ser Gaffaro ', which, no doubt, is the one who was buried in the church of the Carmine. Gaffaro This family, as he believes the Gallicciolli, is the one that produced the first parish priest of St. Dominic Basso, then of St. Nicholas, and finally Bishop of Heraclea, which in 1370 was robbed and shot in the throat to the work of a slave of him, ajutato other accomplices. maybe he died from his injuries reported, saying he was in \Raspe\ that they were done \cum peril vitae\ , in 1374 and being a \Tommasio\ sitting above the bishopric of Heraclea. On \Foundation Gaffaro� scorgesi a house, which in the sixteenth century belonged to Andrea Odoni, Venetian citizen, above the prospectus which ammiravansi various frescoes by Girolamo by Trevigi. This house, where he had collected Odoni large number of paintings and antiques, is praised by Aretino in Book II of his \Letters.\ In our time was owned by the Countess Adriana Renier Zanini.Sulla 'Foundation Gaffaro �born January 17, 1789 Emmanuele Cicogna, author of\ Inscriptions Venetian. \The building was landed, minus the ground floor, which now has two warehouses marked by No. 3542, 3543. Pel Stork see Trevisana (Calle.
The bridge is located at the following coordinates:
Latitude: 45.4370011° N
Longitude: 12.3211755° E